Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Russian Back

These past few months one of my goals has been to acquire that certain je ne sais quoi that Russian dancers have in their torso. People usually notice (myself included) that the Russians seem to look as if they are falling backwards with their upper spine. A few times in class, my excellent teacher, has helped me to feel this "russian back". I have noticed that it is easier for me to achieve this posture whenever I'm in releve. When I'm flat, I feel short and low to the ground.

My teacher stresses that we use the part of our backs that holds up our arms to also lengthen our spines. I do not know the specific name of this muscle in our backs, but it is the one that is behind your armpit. Whenever my posture is correct, I feel as if these two muscles (right and left) are pinching -- but in a good way. I told my teacher about the feeling of pinching, and she said that it makes sense, and is not wrong.

I have been working especially hard on bending my upper torso back when my working leg is in devant en l'air.

Today I stuffed myself with IB Profin. My back felt great, almost like I never hurt it. My foot was taped (in order to support my non-existant arches) and it still hurt. I had actually rolled in on it in rehearsal on Tuesday. But I think that the IB Profin really helped alot. It isn't hurting so much walking on it anymore.

I just found out that ROger Waters (Pink Floyd's bass player) is doing a The Wall tour next autumn!! I am very excited, and I hope I can get tickets =]

Dancing is wonderful training for girls, it's the first way you learn to guess what a man is going to do before he does it. ~Christopher Morley, Kitty Foyle

No comments: